Free The Salem Witch Trials papers, essays, and research papers.
Free Crucible Abigail Williams Essays and Papers
The document itself is dated 18th of May, 1698, and signed by Rev. James Allen of Boston, owner of the 300-acre Nurse Homestead which in that year was to be transferred to the Nurse family following 20 years of payments. The receipt acknowledges payment by the Preston family for a part of the farm broken off by Francis Nurse for his son-in-law and is witnessed by the signatures of Samuel Nurse and John Tarbell. The matriarch of the family, Rebecca Nurse, had been executed for witchcraft in 1692. The document is now fully protected and catalogued.
Free Crucible Abigail Williams papers, essays, and research papers.
The significance of the Archival Center rests with the fact that it was the first of its kind to bring together such a large collection of public and private records of a single community for purposes of preservation and accessibility to researchers. The Archival Center also houses the Ellerton J. Brehaut Witchcraft Collection, the largest collection of imprints relating to the Salem witchcraft events of 1692.
Free The Salem Witch Trials Essays and Papers
Most of society stopped believing in these creatures years ago, but for 17th century Salem, witchcraft became a living nightmare (Fremon, 1999 The reason for the bizarre events that occurred during the Salem witch trials of 1692 and 1693 in Massachusetts has been the focus of speculation and curiosity for many years....
The Salem witch trials of 1692 took place in Salem, Massachusetts
Trials were held in Salem Village, Ipswich, Andover and Salem Town of Essex County of Massachusetts, but accusations of witchcraft occurred in surrounding counties as well.
9 Reasons You Might Have Been Suspected of …
The third item digitized was 80 leaves from the Church Book Belonging to Salem Village. This manuscript volume was kept by the Salem Village minister to record ecclesiastical matters. The original volume, which includes material from 1689 to 1845, was restored in 1974, shortly after it was put on permanent deposit within the Archival Center from the First Church, Congregational of Danvers. Though the book has been microfilmed in black & white images, and several people have made an attempt to transcribe portions of the book, the handwritten copy has never been available for scholarship, except as the rare original upon which there are restrictions as to its use. The image captures I decided to include are all the records from 1689 with the establishment of the Church of Christ at Salem Village up through the death of the second minister, Reverend Joseph Green, and the coming of his successor, Peter Clark in 1717. Also captured were leaves at the rear of the book which list marriages, births & baptisms, and deaths in Salem Village up to 1717. The early ministerial records in the handwriting of Reverend Samuel Parris include the original church covenant, material on the outbreak of witchcraft (“The Devil Hath Been Raised…”), excommunication of Martha Cory, and controversy over Parris following the witchcraft times. Reverend Green’s writings include his attempt to expunge the Cory excommunication, and the 1706 confession of Anne Putnam, Jr., in which she apologizes for her role in the witchcraft events. These digital copies are stored on a portable hard-drive in several formats.